Pages

Thursday, August 26, 2010

All Things: By Him, Through Him, For Him (Col 1:15-17)

Let’s start with questions before we dwell into the verse and how I got to understand this and also with regards to my life. So let’s go into the questions…
why do bad things happen to good people? why do bad things happen at all? if God exists then why does sin abound? why does things like murder and others happen? Where is God when family members pass away prematurely, jobs gets cut… 
These are the things that makes us raise questions about His reality to begin with. As to my life, why, in all my life being a Christian, succumb to depression to the point of complete darkness. 
more after the jump

Colossians 1:15-17 (ESV)
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities — all things were created through him and for him. and he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
Whenever I’m asked about existence and things happening, I always dwell into this verse. This verse shows everything that I needed to know why things are created, why things happen, why circumstances exist. For one particular reason and one particular purpose alone… for him.
Now this is quite disturbing for some, let’s take into account some circumstances that we know that would question the whole, all things… for him conundrum.
Let’s check out current events and then let’s look into biblical events then personal events.
The verse says that all things are created by him, all things invisible and visible, rulers and people are all created by him. So this could probably involve the tsunami event back in December 2004, earthquake in Haiti, 9/11 back in 2001, dictators, fuhrers, wars… I guess these things would be included under the umbrella of all things right? yes… I believe that all these would fall under all things. For Him… alone.
I don’t know yet how these things would turn out, but basing everything on Biblical events, I know these things would turn out for good. 
Few stories in mind…
Joseph, being hated by his brothers, beaten up, sold into slavery and then being one of the top honchos in Egypt. This would then save the 12 heads of the tribes of Israel from an impending famine. Saving the line where Jesus would eventually come.
Genesis 50:20 As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today.
Betreyal of Judas. Judas, being a close friend of Jesus, being part of his ministry for 3 years, eventually sold him off for 30 pieces of silver that would then push for the greatest murder in human history. Christ hanging on a tree.
John 6:53-55 Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. For my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink
John 10:17-18 For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I received from my Father.
Romans 8:23-25 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God’s righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins.
All things must come to pass. The good, the bad and the ugly for him. Where Romans 8:28 says that all things happen for good.
As you see, all those things, the good, bad and ugly had to happen for what… the greatest display of grace and righteousness for us. For the people, who has fallen short of the glory of God. This is the greatest prize that Paul repeatedly asks for in the book of Philippians. This was the very thing that David wanted to be restored in everyday as you could read in Psalms 51:12-14.
And then in my own personal life. Where I was completely rooted out from friends after friends back in high school and college. I graduated college without any friends, without any identity. I was a Christian then but couldn’t understand why I couldn’t catch a break. I went into depression for friends and other security blankets that culture dictates was taken away from me. This I couldn’t understand. Only now, when I found myself with the bestest friends that I could ever be with. These friends eventually helped me to get closer with the Lord. Am I thankful that I left things? Am I grateful that these things had to happen? Yes. I wouldn’t be who I am with the Lord if it wasn’t for these events.
With that being personally met, I wouldn’t even flinch when there are waves that would slam me down. I know that there’ll be hope. I know that all things would eventually lead to good, even if the situation sucks now. Romans 8:28 is something I hold on to.
I write this to give you hope. I write this for the readers that would eventually see things clearly that all things are created by Him, through Him and For Him. Hold on to these truths, hold on to these testimonies that everything, good, bad, ugly, would eventually lead to glorifying Christ in the end.
No matter what happens… Christ will be glorified.
when you’re hurting, when you’re in pain, when you’re in the gutter… know that always… always… all things, for those who love God and who are under his purpose, will work out for the good.
May the Lord bless you, and keep you, and make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace. Amen.

No comments: