Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Blog About God's Grace and the Seriousness of Sin

He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us.
Psalm 103:10-12



Gift - noun
something bestowed or acquired without any particular effort by the recipient orwithout its being earned
----
And if there's anything that wrecks my heart more, its this.

"He does not treat us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities."

I don't think one would get to see this clearly if one wouldn't consider the seriousness of sin.
Let me share to you how I came into having an idea of how serious sin is.
It all started when I read the dialogue between St. Anselm and someone who was opposing the necessity of Christ's sacrifice on the cross.


Someone asked Anselm that if God was good then why not just forgive everyone equally and not have Jesus die on the cross. I think, if I can remember correctly this person also said that God should practice what he preached and forgive everyone equally.

Anselm's response to it was straight forward and something that made me ponder about it.

"Obviously, you haven't considered the seriousness of sin."

One may find this response as something vague and in need of some explanation. The guy was obviously asking about forgiveness of everyone and Anselm responded in a way that would expose the seriousness of sin.

Let's go deeper into it and let's dwell in the following statement that John Stott followed up on his book Incomparable Christ.

"Let's then consider the Majesty that hung on that cross."

I believe that no one could ever consider the seriousness of sin unless we see the sacrifice it demanded.

We are redeemed and such price was paid for our redemption. THE Good Shepherd had to lay down his life for his sheep. None took it from him. He laid it down himself for his sheep. (John 10)
Oh, such grace, such kindness, such love that I couldn't fathom with my finite mind. What kind of sacrifice is this. This is obviously something I did not deserve. That at the right time while in my weakness, Christ died for the ungodly (Rom 5:6). Such display of God's love that while I'm sinning, not doing anything righteous or is capable of doing any good, Christ died for me (Rom 5:8).

Instead of fire and punishment I'm accepted back home, clothed and robed and called his son. Instead of hell, I'm rewarded with a promise of eternal life enjoying his presence.

I cannot grasp this love that is as high as the heavens is above the earth. Something faithful and is steadfast that nothing could ever take me away from it.

My sins, my ashes was traded for his beauty. My ashes was laid on Him as he took the punishment I deserved and his righteousness and beauty was given to me and now I could be reconciled with my Father. This beauty that was given to me separates me from the ashes that he took and this separation is now as far as east to west.

Question...

Will east and west ever meet?

Such kindness is given that called my rebellious heart to repentance.
Praise be to God that has shown kindness to His people.

"I am the good shepherd: I know my sheep and my sheep know me-just as the Father knows me and I know the Father- and I lay down my life for the sheep." John 10:14-15

No comments: